Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Injury Report: Ankle Injury

All righty then the time has now come for me to fill every one in regarding the injury I have sustained.

The Start: I started out going for a nice Sunday funday ride with some mates. We met at Red Hill where I was going to go out for my 1st every ride there. Allot of people had told me about the place so I was super excited to finally get out there and amongst it. The trails were new and exciting for me, gloves and sunglasses were a must as there was allot of branches ready to back you in the face and hands.

The Middle:We didn't want to stop and take to many photos as the trails needed you to keep the flow so you could rail corners correctly and more to the point it was allot of fun. One trail that stood out for me was Pins and Needles the trail is short but has loads of off camber roots and easy gap lines with pine needle roosting berms of goodness! We started to head down the DH track that isn't really in the park and hit a few jumps to get the blood going. We made it down the entire course finding some fun and different lines.

The Crash: The end of the course was near and we flew threw the final few corners, Rhys had told Phil and I that the last step down will be loads of fun to hit and session. I rounded the last corner and saw the jump ahead of me with no sight of the landing, off to the right I saw Graham and Rhys were sitting on there bike with a big open area and the end trail going up the hill. In my mind I though oh the trail goes up the hill I guess you could just roll it to get speed if you didn't want to jump it. Coming in with full intention's of pumping the jump and popping out the other side I neared the lip of the jump and looked over at a 10ft drop to completion. Like a cat on a hot tin roof I threw my bike, un-clipped and went flying threw the air. It was a awesome felling until I hit the ground. Landing on the back side of the down ramp I tryed to spread my weight evenly but landed heavy on my left ankle.
My body weight pushed threw the ankle and leg causing me to squash into a ball. With my head one foot away from my ankle I proceeded to see the sole of my foot turn in to say hello. It was at this point I heard 2 snaps and a pop. (sounds like pulling a drumstick out of a cooked chicken and felt like getting slapped bye a wooden spoon)
At this point I went to stand up but fell down under the pain. The swelling came out in my ankle faster than a ice cream melting on a 40deg day. I was told to eat and drink but yelled at the mates "come on get me the f*#k out of here I have done something bad to my ankle and need to go" "nah nah sit down you will be right" they said. Well I'm getting myself out of here the give me my bike and I'm going. It was at this point where Graham and Rhys the strong blokes they carried me up the hill where I could once again get back on my bike and ride out the rest of the way. Not waiting for any one I clipped in and was off like a shot down the single track. I made it out to the fire road where they guys sat me down and called the ambulance ready to whisk me off to the hospital.
Getting carted of to the Wambulance
Sucking in the big ones on the green stick of goodness! But also keeping my wandering eyes honest with my Evil Eye's.

The Hospital: I was taken into rosebud hospital where they proceeded to x-ray my leg and neck due to the crash. After sitting in there for 2 hrs they came to the conclusion that I simply had a sprain and no broken bones so I should be right with a few pain killers. I was sent out armed with crutches and sporting an new fat ankle.
Day 3
Swelling still the same and pain still not going away and some sweet bruising coming up!
Day 5
Off to the docs again had enough with the swelling and no one listening to me that I have hurt my ankle. Convincing the doc to get me a ultra sounds I was finally a happy camper now I just needed the results. I asked the lady doing my ultra sounds how it was going and she replyed it's not hard you have done a good job,"sweet" I replyed.
Day 6
Doc reads out my results, 2 snapped ligaments and a ruptured tendon. Oh and we can't find on of them either. Win Win I guess!
Day 8
Finally I was off to see a surgeon about my foot and to read me the results of the tests in his language and tell me what I have done.
Top circles: This is where I have torn the tendon but not fully snapped them.
Bottom Circles: This is where I have snapped the ligaments completely.
Yellow and Brown up top: Bruising from the trauma of tearing the tendons.
Purple down the bottom: Where the ligaments have been torn and the blood has pooled from it.
A: Anterior Talofibular completely torn.
B: Calcaneus completely torn can not sure where it is.

Whats the end result?
I will be going in for surgery on the 15th of March to have a ankle reconstruction and some added bling put in to strengthen it up so it's as strong as bought one. I'm now in a moon boot to assist in keeping my foot at 90deg so my calf does not shrink and it makes the healing process allot faster. Going from a fully pointed foot to a foot at 90deg feels like you have had a brick dropped on your bare foot then put it in a vice and squease it till it feels like knives in you leg.

Now i'm going to go shopping for some compression product to help me out in my recovery and treatment so I can be back on the bike fit and stronger than before.
At Adventure Brands/Rocky Mountain keeping up with the demand and building up some new bikes for happy customers! Still loving the ride to recovery.

Thank you to all of my Mates on the day Friends, Family, Sponsors, Supports and all those who have sent me word of encouragement. I'll keep you all informed with how I go with surgery and my recovery.

Luke

1 comment:

  1. Now this is Informative writing, Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete