Friday, September 16, 2011

Sunday Funday


With the sun out in force and the Farmers market bringing people of all shapes, sizes and nationality it was simply another Sunday funday at Arbutus Routes. Sweeping up pop corn and berries is another chaw that takes high priority on Sunday. Grabbing the broom and taking of like Mary Poppins after her spoon full of sugar I started sweeping. In the midst of sweeping I had a friend Cathy come up to me as ask if I could take some of the guys who were up here for the Trek bike press release out for a ride. I was umming ad arring as we were rather busy then she dropped the clinching word “Ross Schnell” is going to come out for the ride. 30sec later I was getting the time off to go take the crew out for a ride.

I had no bike as my mate was using it whilst his was getting repaired so they kindly offered me a 2012 Trek Slash to take out for a rip. This ride was getting better and better. With my smile getting bigger by the second I headed over to their base and got myself sorted on the sweet new bike from Trek. We talked about all the new awesome new parts on the bike like the Stealth Seat post from Rock Shock, Fox Suspension with Kashima coat and ever impressive Sram X.O build kit. I was ready to head out but Eli insisted to set up the suspension. He waved the shock pump around like a magic wand and the suspension was set. Little did I know but Eli is one of the suspension engineers for Trek suspension.


Great posing for the camera, super gnarly trail riding shot.
Having a good old fashioned trail chat! 
We were having a blast and needed to be back at work and the other guys needed to get back so that they could pack for the trip home. Lost Lake it was and I took them past work got some water and we were off for the single track slaying session. We flew down the main path and jumped on to the dirt shooting past the Passive House. I slowed it down to make sure they were behind me the it was on to the single track. I heard Eli say “oh shit really”. Thinking something was up I shouted “you ok” he replied with “No I’m awesome I can’t believe we are in single track already”. Cathy and Ross jumped in and it was onwards and up wards.
 
















Ross and his Mo.

















We followed the main single track trail that leads right smack down the middle of the park, stopping to let them know of features coming up. Half way through the ride we were on Pinocchio’s furniture and had some wood work and rock sections to test the bikes a bit more. As I rounder one of the board walks I knew of a local line then sent it of the side knowing the guys would fallow. Waiting to hear a response simultaneously Ross and Eli yelled “Canadian huck style, yeeeew”. The best noise you could ever hope for whilst out riding followed closely by the noise of a chattering wheel in a epic drift. The Slash was ripping the trails apart 160mm of plush travel and the thing climbed well getting us to the descents where we could drop the seat turn up the fork and fly threw sections no brakes and grinning from ear to ear.

Eli ripping lost lake on the 2012 Slash.

 
















Ross getting the job done!

We carried on riding the rest of the trails and having nothing short of an awesome time. We made it to our final decent, The Grand Wazoo. This was the third stage in the Crankworks Enduro and bye far my most favourite decent in the park. It flows incredibly well and no matter who you are you will finish the trail with a huge smile, Cathy, Ross and Eli came down at a great rate of not but due to time constrains and it was back to the condo to get the bikes back for some rest. 

 Team photo as we are about to get into the final decent The Gran Wazoo.

Cathy bribed us ever so hard to go back out and keep riding then out of her pocket came hands down the best trail snack I have ever had. She whipped out a Honey Stinger and my cheeks hurt from smiling so hard. Even with this bribe we still and to make it back to the condos. 
 
 Catching ever crumb!

















Cathy with the best trail food ever. Honey Stinger!

Riding with elite rider like Treks Ross Schnell and Eli Krahenbuhl along with Honey Stinger athlete Cathy Cantway is an awesome experience for they are simply happy to come out and ride with you. They give you the feeling that you are the elite rider and they are the average jo. There is no I’m better than you or lets race, it lets go out and shred a trail taking whatever line you want with how ever much style you can throw down. This ladies and gentle men is what riding is all about. This ride although short was eye opening in that riding really is about having fun with whoever you are with where ever you are and leave racing at the races.
 












End of the ride 

2 comments:

  1. When we visited Whistler last month (our first trip), that was our thoughts exactly - we just left the hotel pedaling and we are already in sweet singletrack?? Holy cow, what a great place, we thought, and we'd only had but a wee taste. We did most of the trails you mentioned in this post, agreed again, incredible! And oh, by the way, my first (and only so far) Honey Stinger, same surprise, it was the best "bar" I'd ever tried. Keep the posts coming Luke, it keeps the Whistler memories flowing! Scott S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Luke-

    It was a pleasure following you around the lost lake trails. Thanks for taking time out of your day to show us around. I'm always envious of all you guys that have such good trails out your back door. Lets catch up next summer when I make it up there again.

    Cheers!

    Ross Schnell

    ReplyDelete